Skip to main content

DR EVANS KIDERO STATEMENT REGARDING THE FLOODS AND HEAVY DOWN POUR IN THE CITY OF NAIROBI

First and foremost my sincere condolences for the loss of lives and destruction of property that occurred in our beloved City as a consequence of the worst floods this year. I am deeply saddened by the scenes, pictures and videos of the aftermath of yesterday's heavy rains. My prayers and thoughts are with all those who have been affected in one way or the other.

Even the statehouse area was a victim of flash floods

The steady rain that has been pounding the City for the last 3 days reached an all time high of 80mm against an expected normal rainfall of 12mm. The City is likely to continue receiving more than average rainfall. The City will be subjected to increased incidents of flooding on the roads, destruction of properties, public open spaces and flooding of rivers which result in traffic congestion, inconvenience to residents and sometimes injuries and fatalities.

The Nairobi City County Government will continue to mobilize resources to attenuate and mitigate the severity and impact of the floods. At the same time the County Government wishes to highlight some of the challenges hampering effective operation of the drainage system and flood control.

These include;

1. Encroachment and obstruction of riparian reserves, natural water courses and drainage wayleaves and denial of access to drainage outfalls.
2. Indiscriminate disposal of solid waste consisting of excavated soils, construction debris and garbage onto water courses, road reserves and sewerage system restricting the proper functioning of the system.
3. Unsupervised poorly constructed and undersized storm water drainage infrastructure.
4. Passage of water pipes, telecommunication cables and other services through drainage infrastructure.
5. Depleted seepage zone due increased urban roof and impervious ground cover not matched by increase in capacity of the drainages system
6. Blocking of drains for urban agricultural activities
7. Informal Settlements on low lying areas and flood plains.
8. Deposition of soil into wetlands and marshy areas which affects land drainage and the ecosystem.
9. Physical developments and have preceded development of supporting infrastructure such as roads and drainage.
10. Blockage caused by debris trapped by grills installed across drains.
11. Landscaping on frontages which hinders discharge of storm water into the drain.
Kasarani area in Nairobi county

Nairobi residents and members of the public are urged to co-operate with Nairobi City County and National Government officials and their agencies to facilitate works to improve the drainage system.

Furthermore, residents are urged to dispose their solid waste responsibly, as this poses the biggest challenge to drainage system. The Nairobi City County Government also advices that fees for minor domestic drainage clearing, improvement and maintenance works have been waived during this period. Where the scope of the works is large in magnitude and affect large areas, persons are encouraged to contact the County Government for technical advice and assistance.

The Nairobi City County Government urges all residents to take care of their frontages and ensure the drainage infrastructure is free of debris.
Please oblige in order to make Nairobi a Better City with Better Life.
I want to extend my sincere appreciation to the emergency service personnel, army and volunters for their well coordinated response to this disaster. The loss suffered would have been far greater without the skill, dedication, compassion, and sacrifice of these emergency responders.

DR. EVANS O. KIDERO, MBS
GOVERNOR, NAIROBI CITY COUNTY
For more information on the floods and Roads situation please get in touch with our Chief Officer Roads and Transport Engineer Michael Ngari on 0700468381 or 0722 516031 or County Executive Mohamed Abdullahi on +254728490590

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11 Habits You Need to Stop Doing

Stop watching too much TV If you spend too much time watching TV, you are wasting your life away. I feel really strongly about this one. I don’t have cable, and while I do watch some shows on Netflix, it’s few and far between. I only watch TV after I really am relaxed and need a break. I’m also careful not to turn on the TV right when I get home. I find that if I do this, I’m sucked in. This is why I keep my reading list and focus on reading good books instead. So, start to pay attention to how much TV you’re watching. If you think it’s too much, cut back. Limit your TV intake to 30 minutes to 1 hour per day, if possible. Stop talking about people behind their backs Talking about someone behind her back is a bad idea for a number of reasons. First, if someone is talking to you behind someone else’s back, you can bet on it that they also will talk about you. Second, did you know that when you talk about someone negatively, the person who you’re talking to will associate yo

John Deere Tractor for sale Asking price 850,000/-

The details are as follows: Make - John Deere (Original from Germany) Reg No: KTCB271G Model - 3130 Configuration: 2WD 97hp Color- Green & Yellow YOM: 1980 Fuel: Diesel Asking 850,000/- Asking price 850,000/- It has brand new front tyres and 70%(new) rear tyres. It is a very powerful Machine and it is an original John Deere in serviceable and working condition. The tractor can serve you in different fields like ploughing and transportation of things like sugarcane etc For more picture kindly check below If interested please give me a call on +254726687369 (Davis) The Tractor is currently stationed in Chemelil,Kisumu County

Boss Discovered My Side Job And Threatened To Fire Me!!

Here is Judy’s Story I have been working for my current boss for close to 3 years now. The job is okay, it’s just that my salary has not been increased during this whole time. I have been struggling to make ends meet and to be honest, I have been surviving on loans from here and there. A few months back, a friend of mine introduced me to a guy who offered me an online job and a salary that is equal to the one that my boss pays me. The job was so flexible, so I quickly agreed to do it. To juggle the two jobs, I have been getting to work very early and then I start with the workload for my ‘actual’ job and then when I am done, I tackle the other job which is so much more flexible and easier. I have really been enjoying this because every end of the month, I get not one, but two pay checks. I have found financial freedom that I never thought was possible. I can even afford to save cash for the future However, I am afraid I messed up and it may cost me my job. I got to work very