Skip to main content

Kenya living beyond its means, says revenue agency


CRA Chairman Micah Cheserem (Right) and Vice Chair person Fatuma Abdulkadir

Commission on Revenue Allocation Chairman Micah Cheserem has said Kenya is living beyond its means.

Mr Cheserem, who is a former Central Bank of Kenya governor, said the country needs to embrace austerity measures immediately.

Cheserem told members of the National Assembly’s Liaison Committee that there is need to cut spending starting from State House.

“We are living a lie, and somewhere down the line we must ask ourselves if we need 2,200 MCAs,” Cheserem said during a budget-making meeting with MPs.

Among the expenditures he wants eliminated are allowances paid to senior government officials and elected leaders, including legislators, and instead grant them consolidated salaries. “We must go for austerity measures starting from the Head of State. If he has to travel, then the delegation must be reduced,” he added.

His caution is pegged on the level of debt that the country has taken up and the proportion of the annual budgets that are directed to servicing the loans.

Kenya is already spending 29 per cent of the collected revenue on domestic and foreign loans - just below the 30 per cent mark that is considered dangerous. Official data indicates Kenya’s debt is more than Sh3 trillion, split equally between domestic and foreign loans.

National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich yesterday sought to dispel the fears that the level of debt had gone out of hand, describing the current debt as sustainable. His only concern is the amount of exports from Kenya for the international market.

“We should be worried that we are not exporting enough to earn foreign currency, which we then use to pay the foreign loans,” Mr Rotich told the committee.

Members of the committee had a long wish list which the CS said could not all be accommodated. Rotich and Cheserem were meeting the MPs in separate sessions to discuss the upcoming national budget, specifically how much should be granted to counties. CRA, the Treasury and the governors’ lobby have differed in their proposals.

Cheserem pleaded with the Committee to push the Treasury to increase the allocation to Sh377 billion.

Rotich is, however, proposing to give counties Sh298 billion, including Sh4 billion to be shared by five counties that do not have headquarters.



By Moses Michira


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11 Habits You Need to Stop Doing

Stop watching too much TV If you spend too much time watching TV, you are wasting your life away. I feel really strongly about this one. I don’t have cable, and while I do watch some shows on Netflix, it’s few and far between. I only watch TV after I really am relaxed and need a break. I’m also careful not to turn on the TV right when I get home. I find that if I do this, I’m sucked in. This is why I keep my reading list and focus on reading good books instead. So, start to pay attention to how much TV you’re watching. If you think it’s too much, cut back. Limit your TV intake to 30 minutes to 1 hour per day, if possible. Stop talking about people behind their backs Talking about someone behind her back is a bad idea for a number of reasons. First, if someone is talking to you behind someone else’s back, you can bet on it that they also will talk about you. Second, did you know that when you talk about someone negatively, the person who you’re talking to will associate yo

John Deere Tractor for sale Asking price 850,000/-

The details are as follows: Make - John Deere (Original from Germany) Reg No: KTCB271G Model - 3130 Configuration: 2WD 97hp Color- Green & Yellow YOM: 1980 Fuel: Diesel Asking 850,000/- Asking price 850,000/- It has brand new front tyres and 70%(new) rear tyres. It is a very powerful Machine and it is an original John Deere in serviceable and working condition. The tractor can serve you in different fields like ploughing and transportation of things like sugarcane etc For more picture kindly check below If interested please give me a call on +254726687369 (Davis) The Tractor is currently stationed in Chemelil,Kisumu County

Boss Discovered My Side Job And Threatened To Fire Me!!

Here is Judy’s Story I have been working for my current boss for close to 3 years now. The job is okay, it’s just that my salary has not been increased during this whole time. I have been struggling to make ends meet and to be honest, I have been surviving on loans from here and there. A few months back, a friend of mine introduced me to a guy who offered me an online job and a salary that is equal to the one that my boss pays me. The job was so flexible, so I quickly agreed to do it. To juggle the two jobs, I have been getting to work very early and then I start with the workload for my ‘actual’ job and then when I am done, I tackle the other job which is so much more flexible and easier. I have really been enjoying this because every end of the month, I get not one, but two pay checks. I have found financial freedom that I never thought was possible. I can even afford to save cash for the future However, I am afraid I messed up and it may cost me my job. I got to work very